Money Laundering Defense for Northampton County and Franklin County
Money laundering is a serious criminal offense that faces prosecution in either the state and federal level. The impact of a money laundering conviction can be devastating to your reputation, personal life, and professional career. You could be facing decades in prison, steep fines, and seizure of your assets. You will need an experienced Massachusetts money laundering defense attorney to guide you through the criminal defense process. Before speaking to any parties about your case or your charges, it is best to talk to a professional who can assess your situation. Mr. Kokonowski is an experienced money laundering defense attorney serving Massachusetts residents in both Northampton and Franklin Counties.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering involves taking “dirty money” obtained from an illegal activity and funneling it through a “legitimate” business to make it “clean” — in an attempt to conceal the paper trail leading to the source of illegal funds.
Underlying Crimes Associated with Money Laundering
Here in Massachusetts, both state and federal prosecutors often file charges of money laundering in conjunction with other criminal activities, such as:
- Drug Trafficking and other drug crimes
- White Collar Crimes
- Fraud (wire, mail, bank)
- Tax evasion
- Terrorist financing
A money laundering scheme involves:
- Placement: Dirty money gets transferred into financial system (significant amounts of money broken into smaller pieces that are harder to detect)
- Layering: money is moved around to create “layers” of transactions that bury the illegal finances
- Integration: after illegal funds are layered, the “clean money” can then be introduced back into the economy via a variety of spending, investing or lending techniques
Penalties for Money Laundering in Massachusetts
- up to six years in state prison for a first offense
- mandatory minimum two-year sentence up to an eight-year maximum for the second offense
- up to 20 years in jail for each
- fine of up to $500,000.00 or twice the amount of money laundered, whichever is higher
- seizure and potential forfeiture of your assets (cash, cars, and real estate
Possible Money Laundering Defenses
- Lack of Intent
- Participation under duress
- Money not gained through illegal acts
- Insufficient evidence
If you are charged with or are the subject of an investigation for money laundering in Hampshire County or Franklin County, it’s important to secure qualified legal representation immediately.
Call the Law Offices of Thomas Kokonowski today to schedule a free consultation. We have offices in Northampton (413.585.9200) and Amherst (413.549.0022).
Criminal defense attorney Mr. Kokonowski is a former prosecutor who is familiar with how money laundering investigations are conducted and provide experienced Massachusetts money laundering defense on your behalf. He knows how to negotiate with federal and state authorities to get the charges against you dismissed or reduced. If there is no room for compromise, he will vigorously defend you in court against a judge or jury.
Call us Today
The stakes are too high to wait to get help. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin preparing a defense strategy to protect you from money laundering charges.
For our Northampton office call: (413.585.9200)
For Amherst call (413.549.0022)